HUMBOLDT, S.D. (AP) — Nearly 2,500 chickens died in a weekend fire at a Minnehaha County farm.
The cause of the early morning blaze on Sunday in a building at the Hanisch Farm near Humboldt wasn’t immediately determined.
Owner Jared Hanisch told KELO-TV ( ) that he suspects either an electrical problem with a refrigerator or a malfunctioning battery in a pay loader.
Hanisch estimates damages at about $100,000 but is staying optimistic. He says no one was hurt, and he’s insured and can rebuild. He says his farm also hasn’t been touched by the bird flu that has devastated many other poultry operations in the region.
Hanisch has another reason to remain upbeat. His wife gave birth to a baby girl over the weekend.
Information from: KELO-TV,